The Family Court Clerk of Court has simplified petition forms which you can fill out and file at their office. If you have an attorney, he or she can help you file a Petition for an Order of Protection. After the Petition has been filed, the Clerk of Court will schedule a hearing in Family Court. The Clerk of Court will notify you about the date and time of the hearing and Law Enforcement typically serves the abuser with the filing and hearing notice. At the hearing, each of you will have the opportunity to present your case to the judge.