These FAQs are intended to provide general information about the services that SCVAN can provide regarding the criminal justice process and other legal issues that can affect victims. This information is not intended as legal advice. If you have questions about a specific legal matter, contact an attorney.

What legal services does SCVAN offer?

SCVAN provides direct legal representation for victims of crime. This advocacy happens inside and outside of the courtroom. SCVAN attorneys assist victims during the criminal process by providing information about their rights and protecting those rights in court. In addition to victims’ rights enforcement, we take a holistic approach to legal representation and can assist and represent victims in a variety of situations including restraining orders, immigration, simple divorce, employment law, and Title IX hearings.

I can’t afford a lawyer. What do I do?

We offer free legal services! If you are a crime victim, click here to learn about our intake process. Other organizations offering pro bono legal services include the South Carolina Bar and South Carolina Legal Services. In addition, our local resources page provides referrals.

What areas of the state do you serve?

SCVAN operates statewide. We have offices in Columbia and Spartanburg, but our legal staff travels across South Carolina to meet with and represent victims of violent crime. Through our Reaching Rural Program, we have six remote Victim Rights Centers in the following Lowcountry counties: Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Colleton, Hampton, and Jasper. At these centers, crime victims have access to a computer, printer, scanner, and office supplies. Additionally, we offer secure videoconferencing that allows them to have face-to-face meetings with attorneys. Victims can also use our videoconferencing platform from their smartphone, tablet, or other personal device to receive legal services.

How can I refer someone for services?

If you know someone who could benefit from our services, refer them to our intake line (803) 509-6552 or our online intake form.

I’m being abused. What can I do?

If you are in immediate danger, please call 911. If you are currently experiencing domestic violence and need help getting to safety, we strongly recommend calling the Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

How do I get emergency housing?

ONLY Victim Service Providers can request these funds from the Emergency Fund on behalf of a South Carolina crime victim. See our Emergency Fund page for more details.

I feel like I’m not getting adequate legal representation. What can I do?

It is always important to speak with your attorney about any concerns that you have. If you believe that your victims’ rights have been violated, and you have already discussed these concerns with your attorney, you may complete an online intake and our team will be happy to counsel you about your rights and how they can be enforced.

I feel like the Police/Solicitor aren’t taking my case seriously. What should I do?

Reach out to your victim advocate at the police department or the Solicitor’s Office. If you believe that your rights are being violated, please complete an online intake or call us.

I want to report a crime. How do I do that?

Call your local law enforcement office or go to your nearest police station and ask to file a report. If there is an emergency, call 911.